Friday, September 26, 2008

Did The Hockey News rip me off? Nah, I guess not.


In advance of my Western Conference predictions, I would like to reflect on my predictions for the East which were posted on September 13. Adam Proteau is a respected hockey writer for The Hockey News, and one of my favourite hockey scribes. Is he also a reader of ’Nucks and Pucks and a shameless plagiarist? Almost certainly not. But I’m going to make the argument anyway.

Yesterday (September 25) Adam posted his weekly Screen Shots column, which included his predictions for the Eastern Conference standings in the upcoming season. Check out the article if you want to read his justifications for his choices, but I will list here his predicted order of finish with the ’Nucks and Pucks picks in brackets:

1. Philadelphia Flyers (Flyers)
2. Montreal Canadiens (Canadiens)
3. Washington Capitals (Capitals)
4. Pittsburgh Penguins (Penguins)
5. New Jersey Devils (Devils)
6. Boston Bruins (Sabres)
7. Tampa Bay Lightning (Rangers)
8. Buffalo Sabres (Bruins)
9. Ottawa Senators (Senators)
10. Florida Panthers (Lightning)
11. New York Rangers (Hurricanes)
12. Carolina Hurricanes (Panthers)
13. New York Islanders (Islanders)
14. Toronto Maple Leafs (Leafs)
15. Atlanta Thrashers (Thrashers)

Comparing Adam’s predictions with those made in this blog two weeks ago reveal some startling similarities: the top five finishers are identical; seven of the eight playoff teams are the same; Adam also likes the Sabres to return to the playoffs and the Senators to finish ninth in the conference; and the worst three teams are identical. Nine of Adam’s total picks are identical to those of ’Nucks and Pucks.

My first reaction was to think that this 60% correlation represents plagiarism on a grand scale. However, as I was about to call a lawyer, reason got the better of me. For starters, there are only fifteen Eastern teams and so there is bound to be some overlap in picks (everyone is going to pick the Leafs to finish at or near the bottom of the conference – duh!). Also, there is roughly a 99.9997% chance that Adam Proteau has never read, or even heard of, ’Nucks and Pucks.

So I put down the phone and took it as a flattery that one of my favourite writers thinks along similar lines as me. Because great minds think alike, right? Oh wait… I shouldn’t say that until I post my Western Conference predictions this weekend. If you want to check out Adam’s rankings they are posted here. I won’t give mine away just yet, but suffice it to say that there are only five identical picks and we only agree on six of the eight playoff teams. Can you guess one of the playoff teams we disagree about? I’ll give you a hint: one of my (now) least-favourite hockey writers picks them to finish 14th in the West.

No comments: