Saturday, January 30, 2010

Leafs Bashing Week, 2009-10 - Part II


Well it's been a while since I've posted here, but thanks to a little needling from a 'Nucks and Pucks fan (thanks Becky!) I am keeping the Leafs Bashing Week tradition alive - but the week is condensed into one day, the Game Day.

I am fortunate enough to be attending the game tonight at the ACC in Toronto. I am anticipating a huge crowd of Canucks fans. The last time I saw these teams play was in the 2007-08, when our back-up goalie (Andrew Raycroft) was the starter for the Leafs, there were 2000-3000 Canucks fans at the game. Given the Maple Leafs woeful season, it has been much easier to acquire tickets in Toronto this year - and as a result I am expecting a significant Vancouver representation at the game.

I will go out on a limb and estimate that 1/4 of the crowd will be Canucks supporters - which, if true, should inject some life into the normally quiet ACC.

Anyway, the Leafs have pretty much made Leafs bashing redundant this season. They sit third last in the NHL, and they can't even root for a great draft pick as Brian Burke traded it as part of the Phil Kessel trade. It is quite a disaster for the Leafs and their fans, and really I don't know if I can add anything to the onslaught of criticism that the team has received from the media and from fans.

I hope that the Leafs turn it around soon - it is a much more enjoyable league when there are strong Original 6 teams, including the two Canadian behemoths - Montreal Canadiens and the Maple Leafs. That being said, I am going to enjoy the fact that Vancouver is the top Canadian club right now and has been playing lights out hockey lately.

As a teaser for tonight's game, here is the highlight package from the last time these two teams met, way back in October:



I will post some pictures from the game, so check back here soon. And, as always, if you want to read more of my work look for nucksandpucks posts over at Nucks Misconduct. Or check out this link for a list of my work for the site.

3 comments:

JRI said...

Well, the Leafs put up 4 goals against Brodeur. I say if Luongo lets in less, he gets to be Canada's starting goalie.

R. A. DePalma said...

Hurray Luongo gets to be top Canadian goalie per Jeff! Woot. Hurray 5 unanswered goals for the Canucks! Awesome.

JRI said...

well, he did allow all 3 goals in the first period, but...I suppose that is less than Brodeur!