Monday, July 6, 2009

Oh no, not Andrew Raycroft!

One-time Toronto Maple Leaf, and some-time butt of my jokes, Andrew Raycroft has reportedly signed with the Canucks.

Seriously?

I don't really get this move, unless there is an imminent trade involving Cory Schneider. Assuming Luongo signs a long-term extension, conventional wisdom is that Schneider backs up Luongo this year to increase his already-quite-high trade value. So why bring in a mediocre goalie to back up Bobby-Lou? Furthermore, with cap space limited, why pay a significant chunk for a back-up?

Unlike Kyle Wellwood, this is one ex-Leaf reclamation project I am not a fan of.

3 comments:

pete said...

Eek. What's going on here? The first time Gillis has left me scratching my head hard. He seems pretty smart, though, so I hope there's a solid Grand Plan going on.

I won't want to be you when your Leafs fan friends start posting comments about this...

Raycroft, however, is reportedly thrilled. He's heard that Vancouver has a great red light district, and red lights make him feel right at home.

Jordan Kennedy said...

Yeah, I was pretty shocked by this news as well. I watched Raycroft for 2 seasons here in Toronto and, not to be cruel to him, but he was quite awful. Other than very routine shots from the blueline, virtually any quality scoring chance will go in on Raycroft. I'm amazed he's still in the league, to be honest. The good news is that Luongo plays a ton, so you won't have to experience the Razors edge too much.

On a different note, I'm pretty pleased with Burkes moves so far this off season. Team defence has been a huge problem in Toronto since, well, about 1995, so Beauchiman, Komisarek and to a certain degree Exelby should help that. Still not sure where the goals will come from, especially on the back end, but that's a better problem to have than terrible, soft defence.

R. A. DePalma said...

Well we will see what comes of this. I don't really want anyone but Luongo in net. And the few days that he gets off, whoever it is, will be ok. I am more curious at the rest of free agency. Check out this link: http://espn.go.com/nhl/freeagents

Who do y'all want to see us get/get rid of/keep?