Saturday, April 25, 2009

Random thoughts on Round One

  • What is up with the San Jose Sharks? I'm not saying this series is over 'til it's over, but still it does not look good for the boys in teal against a tough Ducks squad. If they cannot win three straight they will go down as bigger teases than the Canucks. This is a team that has never made it to the Stanley Cup Finals despite some great teams, and despite this year seeming like the year they change that trend. It now looks like it will be another disappointing spring for Sharks fans.
  • If you have not yet seen this goal by Alex Ovechkin from last night's game, well, just watch:

  • Rough end to the season for the Montreal Canadiens. I feel badly for Carey Price, who is only 21 but already getting blamed for the Habs' problems. I appreciate the passion of Habs fans, but booing your team and your goalie as they get swept does not show a lot of class in my opinion.
  • Columbus Blue Jackets, fans on the other hand, were apparently amazing even as their team got swept by the powerhouse Detroit Red Wings. I was really hoping for a strong showing from the Jackets (let's ignore, for a moment, that I picked them to win this series) because their fans have waited a long time for the team's first post-season berth and have been apparently very rabid all year. Still, they gave the team a classy send off last night and the players returned the favour with a salute to the fans:


  • Right now I am very impressed by the Boston Bruins, who outmuscled and outscored the Habs to totally dominate the series. And man, do I wish that Milan Lucic was on the Canucks! I'm thinking that right now the Bruins look like a very good bet to come out of the East.
  • What are your thoughts on the playoffs thus far? Feel free to chip in under the comments section.

1 comment:

R. A. DePalma said...

I think it was a very interesting round 1. I am still in shock that Brodeur gave up 2 last minute goals to lose a playoff series. As a heroic Canadian Olympian and one of the best goaltenders ever I can't believe that happened. Of course the defensive breakdown etc, but Brodeur used to be able to withstand that kind of thing and come up with the big save. It is interesting that we had two Northwest division vs. Central Division battles in the West and they came out differently. I am hoping that the Canucks will continue to sweep through the Central division. Knock on wood touch red whatever your superstition.

I am very curious to hear your thoughts on the upcoming round 2. I think we are looking at 4 very crazy series. If I had to make predictions it would be:

Canucks sweep the youthful, tired, Blackhawks who just can't keep up with our healthy squad led by the best captain in the league Louie! (Once again knock on wood, touch red, whatever your custom)

Red Wings in 7 over the Ducks, which I base solely on the fact that I don't think the Red Wings offense will be contained the way the Sharks was. They are too good in the playoffs.

Penguins in 7 over the Caps because I think Pittsburgh has better goaltending.

Bruins in 6 over the Hurricanes because that was the first thing I thought when thinking about this series.

What do you think?