Saturday, January 31, 2009

2008 'Nucks and Pucks Reader Comment Awards


At the end of 2008 I reflected back on 'Nucks and Pucks' rookie (half) year. It has been fun sharing my random hockey thoughts with my small, but hopefully growing, team of loyal readers. I have to give you guys credit, because without you this blog would be pointless.

I appreciate the comments that readers have made about my posts, which have ranged from insightful to hilarious to antagonistic (ahem, Leafs fans). As a big thank you to the folks who contributed in the comments section I present the first bi-annual 'Nucks and Pucks Reader Comment Awards, as chosen by a jury consisting of, well, me.

Please note that only comments posted in 2008 are considered for this series of awards.

Winners will receive a limited edition 'Nucks and Pucks beer, which is unfortunately not available at a BCL, LCBO or any other liquor/beer store anywhere near you. Winners are identified by the name under which they posted their comments and, if not contacted by me, should get in touch to claim their prize. Runners-up get bragging rights but no beer.

Art Ross Trophy (Most Prolific Commenter)
Winner: Daniel
Runners Up: Graham and pete (tie)

Daniel posted four comments, most of which were in response to various posts during "Leafs Bashing Week" - though words apparently failed him when the Canucks rocked the Maple Laughs in a 4-2 game whose score flatters the Torontonians. Graham and pete chipped in with three comments each.

Calder Trophy (In the future this will be given to the top new commenter, but for this inaugural year it is given to the first person to comment)
Winner: R. A. DePalma

It took until the end of September for the first reader comment, when R. A. DePalma responded to my Western Conference Predictions by taking issue with my choice of the Blackhawks and Coyotes to make the playoffs and the Wild to miss them (I will wait until the season ends to brag).

Hart Trophy (Best Comment)
Winner: Jeff
Runner-Up: wj_norman

In a tight race, Jeff takes the award for this gem in response to my comment about Bob Cole's broadcasting:

Some call Bob Cole's commentary nostalgic. I call it early signs of senility. I think he's still around because no one at CBC can bring themselves to fire him. It's like telling your grandpa he can't drive anymore because he's bad at it. No one wants to do it, but sometimes it's gotta be done."

wj_norman came a close second with this tribute to Trevor Linden's long-lasting impact on "an entire generation of Vancouver women":

I was talking to some female co-workers the other day about the fact that Trevor Linden was my first, last and only celebrity crush during my adolescence (okay, fine, during my womanhood as well). Forget River Phoenix and his teenage angst or Keanu Reeves and his floppy hair. Trevor’s good-guy-ness, serious and quiet demeanor, rancher's son meets hockey warrior work ethic, his ruggedness, and his tendency to show up on local TV being kind to sick children was soooo clearly a perfect match for me. However, to my surprise, each co-worker strongly asserted, that Trevor was, in fact, first in THEIR heart. I was stunned, hurt almost, that my affection for Trevor was equally matched by these other women. Women who don't know what an icing call is, women who don't bother watching hockey until the playoffs, women who couldn't stomach a day of branding cattle on the ranch, women who are married, women who are mothers! As the day unfolded, I started bringing up the name Trevor Linden around any woman I encountered - the grocery store clerk, the student I was advising, the friend of a friend I ran into at J.J. Bean. As it turns out, in addition to his achievements described above, Trevor Linden found his way into the romantic fantasies of an entire generation of Vancouver women. This is a feat he is not normally recognized for. However, speaking on behalf of all Vancouver women born between 1970 and 1983, I would like to raise a glass in honour of his role in our journey into womanhood.

That's all for now folks! I hope you keep reading and enjoying 'Nucks and Pucks. Keep the comments coming, and GO CANUCKS!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy crap! I'm going for a beer for '09. Gonna brush off my thesaurus, plug in my wit, rev up my hockey knowledge...

Or maybe just blitz you with seven comments a day. Art Ross may be an easier trophy to win.

(What about Vezina? Commenter who makes the fewest mistakes? Or Selke, for commenter who doesn't necessarily post that often, but is really good at preventing other commenters from posting? Or Lady Byng, for fewest swear words?)

Mark Norman said...

I like the new award ideas, but I'm not made of beer you know! I've only made 23 cents off of advertizing on this site so it's not enough to fund a large prize pool. Nonetheless, I will consider some creative new awards for the 2009 mid-year awards.